The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, The Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU), Mohawk College (Fennell Campus), have partnered with local school boards to offer this opportunity for students who want to pursue a career as an Early Childhood Educator.
This program combines instruction in high school and at Mohawk College and provides a Cooperative Education placement working with children. Students can take Part 2 from September to January and Part 1 from February to June (Students do not need to take Part 2, first they may start in September and then take Part 1 in February). Upon completion, students will obtain Level 1 of their Apprenticeship in ECE.
Career as an Early Childhood Educator
To qualify, YOU must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a minimum of 20 credits
- Have an interest in working with young children
- Be in good academic standing, including completion of all compulsory courses required for your Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- Be willing to attend Mohawk College and a Cooperative Education placement
A limited number of spaces are available.
Program components include:
Pre-employment orientation and integration sessions at the home school
A Cooperative Education placement in an early childhood setting
Two days per week at Mohawk College to continue their apprenticeship
in-school training (Part 1 is one day a week)
Earn 4 high school credits towards an Ontario Secondary School Diploma
Earn college credits toward an Early Childhood Educator Certificate of Apprenticeship