The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, The Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU), LIUNA Local 837 and local school boards have partnered to offer this opportunity for students who want to pursue careers as Construction Craft Workers.
This program combines instruction in high school and at the E.H. Mancinelli Training Centre in Winona and provides a Co-operative Education placement in the construction industry. It is offered in Semester 2 and is open to students in their graduating year with a minimum of 26 credits.
Career as a Construction Craft Worker
Construction Craft Workers work with a great number of tools. They are truly the jack-of-all trades at building sites. Construction Craft Workers unload machinery and building materials and build scaffolding and barricades. When a job begins, their tasks include excavating and levelling building sites, building forms for concrete, and pouring, mixing and spreading concrete. Once the job is completed, they disassemble all the equipment used and clean up the site, including removing debris. They also sometimes help demolish buildings, which can include tearing down structures and salvaging materials to recycle. Construction Craft Workers do not just work at building construction. They also work on roads, bridges, pipelines, and mining sites. Construction Craft Workers assist various other tradespeople, such as carpenters, plumbers, glaziers, roofers, and drywallers. They may work as flagmen/women; concrete mixers; and excavators.
In this program, students complete the “Level One” portion of the in-school apprenticeship training for Construction Craft Worker. The education and training opportunities are provided at the home school and E.H. Mancinelli Training Centre in Winona . Upon successful completion of the in-school program, students are dispatched to a work-site for their Cooperative Education placement which lasts until the end of the semester.
To qualify, YOU must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and in your graduating year with at least 26 credits
- Be in good academic standing, including completion of all compulsory courses required for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- Have an understanding and working knowledge of mathematical concepts and principles
- Be willing to work outdoors
- Have good physical strength and stamina
- Be able to bend, stretch, and work in confined spaces
- Be able to work independently or as a member of a team
- Be willing to attend classes at the home school and the E.H. Mancinelli Training Centre in Winona and travel to participate in a Cooperative Education placement
A limited number of spaces are available.
Program components include:
- Pre-employment orientation and integration sessions at the home school
- 9 weeks at the E.H. Mancinelli Training Centre in Winona
- 9 weeks at a Co-operative Education placement in the construction industry
Earn 4 credits in total towards an Ontario Secondary School Diploma
Successfully complete “Level One” apprenticeship training for Construction Craft Worker at E.H. Mancinelli Training Centre in Winona
A Guidance Counsellor or Cooperative Education teacher must help you to complete an application form for the Accelerated Program and submit all required documents.