What is an OYAP “Accelerated” program?
With the partnership between high schools, Boards of Education and local colleges, programs have been created that give students an enriching experience in a skilled trade profession. Students will have an opportunity to be taught by Mohawk College instructors in state of the art facilities that give them a head start in the world of apprenticeship. Through any of the “Accelerated” programs, students can:
- Work towards their Level One apprenticeship schooling in a specific trade
- Students will have 2 year window to obtain a sponsor and register with MTCU (Hamilton office)
- Earn hours towards their apprenticeship training (through OYAP/Co-op placement)
- Earn high school credits
- Must Register as an OYAP student
- Must be taking Co-op placement in the trade (during the course)
How do students apply for any of the OYAP “Accelerated” programs?
The application process for any one of the “Accelerated” programs is as follows:
- Have a strong interest in the sector that they are applying to as a career
- Be in good academic standing including completion of all compulsory courses prior to starting program and required courses for OSSD to graduate
- Together with a Guidance Counsellor or Cooperative Education teacher, complete the OYAP Accelerated program application and submit by date established
- Students will be interviewed by a selection committee which includes teachers from both high school and College
- Students, parents, and teachers are invited to attend an information sessions (May/June/September )
- Details on information sessions, application due dates, and interview dates will be established during Sem. 2 of that school year
During the interview process, students will be assessed on the following:
- Personal Presentation
- Communication Skills
- Knowledge of Mathematical concepts and principle
Why Participate in Accelerated OYAP?
Accelerated OYAP enables students to:
- Make a smooth transition into post-secondary apprenticeship programs.
- Gain important connections with potential employers.
- Obtain health and safety training.
- Acquire technical training in up-to-date facilities.
- Hours completed at the placement count towards apprenticeship.
What programs do we offer?
Over the past few years we have run AST Automotive Service Technician 310 S Level 1 Apprenticeship and Cook 1 415 A Level 1 Apprenticeship, both programs are run through Mohawk College.
Note: programs will be offered if we have enough student interest in programs. Also, location of where programs will run are established on a yearly basis.
For further information please contact: OYAP Coordinator for BHNCDSB at 519 756 6505 ext. 246
AST Assumption College Cook Holy Trinity